Creative Care: The benefits of a healing environment
Art at the Heart supports the RUH Bath with an award winning art and design programme that stimulates healing and well-being and creates an uplifting environment for patients, visitors and staff. We reach on average 200,000 people per year through exhibitions, workshops, performances and design.
Art at the Heart is a registered charity. Charity No.1058323
who are we?
We are only a small team but we are all very passionate about the work we do for arts in health. Take a look at our Meet the Team page for more information.
What do we do?
• We provide the RUH with Bath’s largest and most accessible gallery space, open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
• We offer patient-led art workshops ran by our Artist in Residence on the Children’s and Older Patient Wards.
• We deliver a professional live public music programme.
• We run creative reminiscence workshops based on the Older Patient Wards.
• We have a fully inclusive music service ran by our Musician in Residence.
• We integrate artworks and design into new builds and refurbishments.
What impact do we have?
Art at the Heart is always creating new opportunities for patients, visitors and staff to experience and participate in the arts. Good healthcare delivered alongside stimulating art and environmental design can have a significant effect on medical outcomes. It has been proven to:
• Reduce stress and anxiety.
• Reduce pain.
• Improve sleep quality.
• Lower infection control.
• Improve patient and staff satisfaction as well as self-esteem.
• Reduce costs by supporting clinical staff.
What do we still want to achieve?
• To increase the number of workshops we offer patients, visitors and staff.
• To build upon our permanent and loan art collection for public areas.
• To offer a number of artist and musician residencies across the Trust.
• To strengthen our research and evaluation work.
• To continue working with local schools and universities, as well as arts and cultural organisations.
• To protect and curate the RUH’s medical history.
• To manage major arts commissions for the RUH North Development.
How can you help us?
Visit our Support Us page to find out how you can help or view our leaflet below:
“Worth a visit, just to see the ever changing artwork!” Patient
“Fantastic workshop, my daughter wanted to stay another night” Parent